Alimony, also known as spousal support, can be described as the legal obligation of financial aid that one spouse has to provide to the other during or after a divorce.
The purpose of alimony is to offer financial support to the spouse with a lower income. This would enable them to maintain his/her same standard of living experienced during the marriage. Alimony is typically paid until the spouse can become self-supporting.
Alimony is generally awarded after a long marriage. This means that courts don’t always order alimony after all marriages. Alimony doesn’t typically have a formula for determining where it is appropriate for delivering. However, judges will generally consider awarding alimony for a spouse who has been financially dependent on the other during the marriage.
All states have different guidelines for judges to determine alimony. However, courts would generally consider the following circumstances for determining alimony:
• The period of time spent in the marriage.
• The ability of one spouse to pay alimony to the other.
• Each spouse’s conduct during the marriage. This includes any misconduct like adultery or domestic abuse.
• Whether either spouse in the marriage is at fault.
• The age, health, and ability to work of both spouses are considered.
• The financial needs of both spouses.
• The standard of living of the couple during the time of marriage.
• The amount of property that may be awarded to either spouse for the divorce.
• Whether either spouse has to support other people.
• Any other circumstances that may be relevant to the case regarding alimony are also considered.
Alimony may be paid in the form of lump-sums, might be monthly amounts, or even might be paid until an event occurs to no longer make the payments. Courts can also order alimony payments to be made in the form of property or asset transfers.
Alimony is a complicated subject to understand. However, with a competent Orlando FL divorce lawyer, spouses can be guided efficiently through the process. The Law Office of Erin Morse is a Family Law Firm based in Orlando Florida. At the Erin Morse Firm, experienced and professional lawyers guarantee that client requirements would be satisfied together with excellent services. Client satisfaction is the number priority. Choose The Erin Morse Firm for your legal needs!